Are you accepting only particular instruments?
Right now, we are seeking musicians to fill openings in our clarinet, bassoon, and percussion sections.
Interested? Complete and submit the brief Member Inquiry form, and we’ll be in touch shortly!
How many concerts do we play each year?
We perform 7-8 times each year:
- Five regular concerts: Usually in February, April, July, October, and December.
- Salute to Community Bands: In partnership with UTA, we host area community bands to perform at this all-day event held in May. In 2023, for example, we hosted nine bands from as far away as Southlake, Mesquite, Fort Worth, Irving, and elsewhere to provide an all-day event of free concerts, fabulous musicians, and pride in our area’s community bands.
- Arlington Fourth of July Parade: We perform a patriotic program on the steps of Arlington City Hall.
- Other Concerts: We receive many concert requests from the City of Arlington and other organizations throughout the year. In 2023, for example, ACB performed at the Arlington Children’s Day event in April. The number and type of these other concerts depend on several things–i.e., whether we’re a good fit for the event, the timing and rehearsal availability, and other requests accepted, among other possible factors.
Do I have to audition?
At this time, we do not require auditions to join the band. The music director, along with the section leader, will determine the best placement in the section.
Are there requirements beyond attending rehearsals and practicing my part?
We don’t require that members volunteer, but we do ask that you volunteer or help out as possible. We have a strong base of member volunteers, but continuing to grow this base is a priority to further ease volunteers’ time and tasks.
- Every member can help publicize our events by sharing posts and flyers on social media. Similarly, putting flyers up on community boards (at Starbucks, libraries, grocery stores, and similar) is a big help!
- We have many one-time or short-time tasks, as well as longer-term needs on various committees. Sometimes these needs are announced at rehearsals; other times, sign-up sheets are provided online.
- Board positions are also available when a term ends or occasionally as membership and board needs evolve over time.
What are the costs of joining?
We aim to minimize member costs as much as possible! Here are the current fees:
- Annual membership: $75
- Season membership (fall/spring): $50
- White ACB polo: $25
Are there rehearsals every Monday year-round?
- Usually, there’s at least one month off in the summer–after July 4th until rehearsals resume for the fall in early September.
- There are often one to three-week breaks after a concert before the next rehearsal cycle begins.
- ACB aligns with the AISD calendar, so if students are on holiday, we’re on holiday.
View and download the 2023-2024 Rehearsal & Concert Details infographic for specifics!